Friday, September 5, 2008

Hot Sweat in New York City

I arrived in New York at sun down. I left the airport for downtown around 8pm and rode the subways into Manhattan. I had taken the E line before, but never when it was so bare. I knew to take the most crowded car but I felt nervous riding an almost empty car into the city.

I got out at Lexington hoping to take the 3 or 4 to Whole Foods, but instead I decided to walk up to Broadway to find a place to eat around there. Oh man was it hot. And humid. The worst combination. Sweaty, I found a nice pizza place on 8th Ave.

I had a 8 hours until my next plane, so I took the E train back to the JFK airport. I drifted into the airport cafeteria to find a place to sleep. My idea wasn't original apparently. To my surprise the entire room was packed with sleeping people. They were curled up on benches, under tables, along the walls, and under staircases. It felt like I had walked into a refugee camp. I found a nice quite place to sleep and slept on and off until my flight check in. It felt nice being able to sleep before my flight.

I checked in without problem and took off for Los Angeles. The 6:30am plane was half full. I had a whole row to myself. I slept the entire 5 hours to Los Angeles and woke up during landing. What a great flight.

No comments: