Monday, December 31, 2012

This year I... (2012)


This year I moved to an Asian Megalopolis, only to repatriate back to my passport country to begin life as a grownup. I never expected my life abroad would only feel like a vivid fever dream. As this year draws to a close, here are a handful of moments from the passing year which document the successes and failures of the last twelve months:

January - Here we are posing-cute for a press photograph; We were the first language instruction course to be held by the Japan Foundation of Los Angeles. - The Japan Foundation, Los Angeles has since expanded their program. I would highly recommend it for Los Angeles based Japanese learners.

March - As far as my creative successes, my undergraduate thesis film toured film festival circuit in the United States, taking home the best short film at the Los Angeles Animation Festival. Photographed in the image is the director of the festival, me, Amy, Maya, and independent animator Bill Plympton.

August - My Calarts short film The Magical Theater screened in New York at the Animation Block Party 2012.


September - I dyed my hair blonde :O
October -  Participated in an art film where I was shot on 35mm color film.
November - Goofed off at the LACMA with one of my fuzzy haired Tokyo friends. December - Found one of my photographs on one of my favorite magazines Dazed and Confused.




February - My undergraduate thesis film was nominated as a semifinalist for the Adobe Student Awards.



May -  The most exotic of all my successes was the move to Tokyo in May.  In the heart of central Tokyo, worked as an animation intern for Tokyo Broadcasting Systems (TBS), one of Japan's major broadcasting companies. 
June - Living in one of the largest cities in the world, I crossed paths with unique and special people.
July -  Koenji(高円寺), one of areas within central Tokyo with a strong underground music scene. Through Ian Martin and his Fashion Crisis and Telephone club events, I was exposed to a lot of electronic pop and new wave punk music. My favorite show was hosted at the DOM Sound Studio, with performances by JebiottoN'toko, and Zana.

No comments: