Friday, June 6, 2014

Macdowell Colony - Day 1



Today was my first day at the Macdowell Colony in New Hampshire. I arrived at the colony early in the morning after taking the red eye from Los Angeles to Boston Logan International Airport. To my surprise, there's no form of public transportation in New Hampshire--nor cellphone reception. 


I was assigned to the Phi Beta Cottage, a bare studio located a short walk from Colony Hall. Built in 1931, it was named after and maintained by the Phi Beta fraternity and hosted writers and composers, almost exclusively. The small stone cottage holds a single, bed, work table, and a large fireplace.

Lunch is provided everyday by way of picnic baskets.
Phi Beta Cottage Tombstones
Reading the list of previous Colonists' names hanging on the walls, there were only a handful of artist who I could recognise: Composer Gail Kubik who scored UPA's Gerald McBoing-Boing (1950) and composer Aaron Copland who scored Of Mice and Men (1939). Like the rings of a tree, the list of names make up a eighty-three year history. I found the name of the Colonist who resided in my studio the month and year I was born. Twenty-seven years ago, the Phi Beta studio was over half a century old.

No comments: